Check-out current and past releases of qTip 1.0 at the GitHub repository.
The MIT license
Copyright © 2009 Craig Thompson
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
What you need to know
qTip is licensed under the open source MIT license, which allows you to use the script for whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want, as long as you include a copy of the license!
So... that's it? Completely free?
If you enjoy using the script, please donate some money, even if its just a pound/dollar/euro/<insert_your_currency_here>! Every little helps, and it's always nice to recieve support from my users.
Released: Tuesday 12th May, 2009 - 00:00
- Core: Image map positioning now pixel perfect (hopefully)
- Core: Allow styling of title button using new style.button sub-option
- Core: Much better support for multiple tooltips on single elements (More info to come)
- Core: Selectors now much more specific to speed up DOM traversal in qTip creation
- Core: Moved event assignment above remote content load to prevent hang ups in tooltip display in IE
- Core: Added in animation stopper to hide event so mousing out during rendering doesn't keep tooltip visible after mouseout
- Core: Fixed mouse cache issue which was using left/top instead of x/y values. Thanks to bellzebu for the fix
- Core: Added support for alt fallback when no title is provided
- Update: Tooltips whose target is another tooltip now correctly update their positions simultaneously
- Update: Title button now works correctly in Internet Explorer
- Update: Width issues in IE6+ should now be totally eliminated
- New API Feature: Exposed title button as an API element
- New API Feature: Added updateTitle method and accompanying callback methods
- Fixed Bug 368332: target: 'mouse' in IE
- Fixed Bug 369698: Problems with "tip"s in IE6 and IE7
- Fixed Bug 373205: qTip "invalid argument" error with "prerender: true" and "targ...
- Fixed Bug 372262: Title button not showing
Released: Monday 27th April, 2009 - 23:30
- Update: the hide 'unfocus' event memory leak is now fixed cross-browser.
- Update: Update: No more border gap bugs in IE! See Bug #364761
- Fixed Bug #366362: Errors when loading page
- Fixed Bug #366658: Appending to a container doesn't work in IE
- Fixed Bug #366618: qTip doesnt work in Chrome or Safari
- Fixed Bug #366756: Select elements show above tooltip in IE6
- Fixed Bug #366924: Compatibility issue with jQuery 1.3.2
Released: Friday 24th April, 2009 - 19:45
- Core: Tooltip elements converted to pure HTML strings for much faster DOM manipulation
- Core: Significant re-working of positioning system for (hopefully) pixel-perfect positioning
- Core: Changes to API data storage within elements via the interfaces object (No regression)
- Core: getPosition method updated to correctly determine position regardless of tooltip state
- Core: BGIFrame plugin use now more restricted to prevent use when not needed
- Update: Image preload code now more specific to prevent hanging on cached images
- Update: Update: Specifying an HTML element as the content now works as expected in IE6
- Update: Update: Maximum and Minimum widths now work as expected in Internet Explorer
- New API Feature: New API Feature: Added getDimensions method
- Fixed Bug #364742: Parenthesis' in content cause an error
- Fixed Bug #364750: type.indexOf is not a function
- Fixed Bug #364754: Tooltips show very slowly in IE6
- Fixed Bug #364755: Invalid Argument in IE7/8 with radius set above 5
- Fixed Bug #364761: Line-height ignored in Internet Explorer
- Fixed Bug #364763: Tooltip has zero-width in certain instances
- Fixed Bug #364880: Deleting tooltips causes an 'is null' error
- Fixed Bug #365495: error "self.elements.tooltip is null" on $(mytooltip).qtip("destroy");
- Fixed Bug #364751: Upper-case ATTRIBUTES causes errors in IE
- Fixed Bug #364753: Maximum width in IE causes a set width
- Fixed Bug #364760: Screen positioning slows IE to a crawl
- Fixed Bug #364746: Multiple onShow and onHide events fire on show/hide
- Fixed Bug #364749: Tooltip width bigger than the content
- Fixed Bug #364881: Antialiasing on text disappears in tooltip in IE
Released: Monday 6th April, 2009 - 20:12
- Core: HTML structure adjustments. See documentation for details.
- Core: BGIFrame plugin now built-in (IE6 z-index fix).
- Update: Screen adjustments are now greatly improved.
- New Feature: Preset blue style.
- New Feature: Internet Explorer 8 support.
- New Feature: Tooltip content can now be passed as a DOM reference.
- New Feature: Document positioning now supported.
- New Feature: Identical hide and show events can now be used on the same target.
- New Feature: New 'center' positioning type.
- New Feature: Image map support added.
- New Feature: Maximum and minimum width support.
- New Feature: Window scroll and resize detection.
- New Feature: Support for title styling via the new style.title suboption.
- New Feature: Automatic title attribute use if no content is specified.
- New Feature: 'unfocus' hide event added which hides the tooltip when wnywhere on the document, except the tooltip, is clicked.
- New Feature: content.method suboption added to allow user to determine method (GET or POST) used to retrieve content from supplied url.
- New Feature: Style object now supports all valid CSS attribute/value pairs.
- New API Feature: Several new API callbacks.
- New API Feature: Can now return false on 'before' callbacks to prevent the event from firing.
- New API Feature: New shortcut methods added: show, hide and focus.
- New API Feature: loadContent method argument added to allow user to determine method (GET or POST) used to retrieve content from supplied url.
- New API Feature: updatePosition animate argument added to allow for smooth position updates.
- New API Feature: getPosition method now works on hidden tooltips.
- New API Feature: updateContent reposition argument added to determine if tooltip position is updated in relation to the new content.
- New API Feature: New updateWidth method.
- New API Feature: New updateStyle method available to update tooltip style post-render.
- Fixed Bug #7: Internet Explorer quirks mode support.
- Fixed Bug #8: Round corner and tip issues in IE6.
- Fixed Bug #9: Mouse tracking support.
- Fixed Bug #10: Padding issues causing content to wrap onto two lines.
- Fixed Bug #11: Tip position when using dynamic content.
- Fixed Bug #12: Tip positioning.
- Fixed Bug #13: show.ready and content.prerender conflicts.
- Fixed Bug #14: show.ready and content.prerender conflicts.
- Fixed Bug #15: Select fields appear above the tooltip in IE6.
- Fixed Bug #16: 1px gap in IE6 between content and upper border.
- Fixed Bug #17: Tooltips flow offscreen when content has no line-breaks.
Released: Thursday 19th March, 2009 - 00:20
- Core: Tooltips are no longer prerendered by default! Tooltips are now rendered on first show to decrease overall page load times.
- Core: Class names of qtip HTML elements are now prefixed with 'qtip-' to prevent namespace issues with previously declared CSS styles e.g. content.
- New Feature: A content.prerender option was added to allow for toggling of tooltip prerendering
- New Feature: A hide.fixed option was added to allow tooltips to be hovered over while staying visible.
- New Feature: Styles now support nested inheritence, allowing styles to inherit properties from others, and those from others etc.
- Fixed Bug #3: Remaining DOCTYPE border bugs are now fixed in all browsers.
- Fixed Bug #4: 'show: false' functionality is now fixed, and should now work as expected.
- Fixed Bug #5: Applying/destroying/toggling tooltips on multiple elements now works without the need for the each() method.
- Fixed Bug #6: All tip positions now appear correctly across all browsers.
- Fixed Bug #7: Using click for both hide and show events now produces the expected behaviour.
Released: Monday 16th March, 2009 - 22:53
- Core: Default style is no longer 'qtip-cream', but a basic tooltip style, similar to that of the default browser title tooltip.
- Fixed Bug #1: qTip can now be included on the page in either the header or footer.
- Fixed Bug #2: DOCTYPE bug fixed in all browsers.
- Fixed Bug #3: New styles tooltip class automatically set to 'qtip-mystylename' by default
Released: Friday 13th March, 2009 - 00:36
- First major release